Monday, July 27, 2015

It's Monday, what are you reading? (July 27, 2015)

So, July has been a super slow reading month for me. Like, SUPER SLOW. It has seriously set me back in the #20booksofsummer challenge, but I'm not complaining, and I'll tell you why:



This book is gorgeous. It's buttery smooth and oh-so-captivating. It truly pulls you into the story and it feels as if you've been transported to the 60s and really gain a true sense and understanding of the times. I didn't fully understand all the references or instantly recognize each famous or influential name that was dropped (there is so. much. name. dropping.)... I mean, it's not really my fault Brian Jones died over 20 years before I was born, amiright?? But, artistic references flying over my head aside, it doesn't take away from the fact that this book is gorgeously written. It's raw and honest, and there is so much beauty in that.
In it Patti Smith reminisces on her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe, and it reads almost like an oral history being told to you by a wise old friend. There is so much insight, and ideas about art, music, creativity, and the creative process. There is really so much to take away from this book.
I really took my time with this one (over 2 weeks!), and it was definitely worth every minute. Usually I try and get through books super quick (the tbr pile ever beckoning me), this was the first time in a long time a book truly grabbed me and held on. I was in no rush to finish it. In fact, I'm a little sad to have reached the end. It is book to savour, to spend time with languorously pouring over the words. It's a book that requires some reflection. And is definitely deserving of a re-read, or two. Or more. With a pencil, highlighter, notebook, etc. I had heard maybe a handful of Patti Smith songs before reading this book, but now I have a much deeper appreciation of her talent. I will definitely be seeking out more of her work, both musical and otherwise. 

Currently Reading: 

  • Emma - Jane Austen (I've been impossibly behind on my Back to the Classics and TBR challenges, so I'm trying to remedy that)
  • A number of comics: I might make a separate post on all the comics I've been reading lately if I feel like it. I've been reading comics since I was a little kid stealing borrowing from my older brother, and I feel like they deserve their own post. So glad to see comics regaining their popularity in recent years. They so deserve it. 

What are you reading??

And if you've got any comics reco's pls let me hear em!

0 comments:

Post a Comment