Thursday, June 18, 2015

#20booksofsummer

20 books of summer - master image

Cathy of 746 Books has started a great summer challenge, the 20 Books of Summer challenge. I'm actually a little (read:very) late in posting this as it really started on June 4, but c'est la vie! here we are.

The premise is actually quite simple: 1 summer. 96 days. 20 books.

I figured that since I plan on doing LOTS of reading this summer, I might as well make it a fun challenge (yes, another one). I actually wanted to give myself more structure rather than just listing out the next 20 books I read, and I wasn't ready to put together a list of books to get through. I'm too much of a mood reader for that anyway. So, I decided to give myself categories for the books I choose to fall under, and it's going pretty well so far. I've already got three books down (more reading happening than blogging over here, which when I think about it, is a very good thing - having a book blog without reading any books is rather pointless).

I'm really hoping to get some of my challenge books read over the summer, but like I said: mood reader. It seems like as soon as I put a book on a challenge list, I lose interest in actually reading it. Even if I was excited beforehand. Odd? Yes. Maybe it brings me back to my school days and assigned reading lists.

The categories I decided to go with are:

Update: I did a TERRIBLE job at sticking with the category idea, so here's what I read:

5 Ebooks (for all the ones I keep forgetting I downloaded):
  1. If I Stay - Gayle Foreman (June)
  2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor (June)
  3. Days of Blood and Starlight - Laini Taylor (June)
  4. Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor (June)
  5. The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins (July)
  6. Omens - Kelley Armstrong (June)
  7. We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (July)
  8. Just Kids - Patti Smith  (July)
  9. Wealthing Like Rabbits - Robert R. Brown (July)
  10. American Gods - Neil Gaiman (August)
  11. Moral Disorder - Margaret Atwood (August/September)
So, that's it. Pretty simple but still, I think it will help. The biggest challenge for me will be 
classics because I have to be in just the right mood to start them, and also getting to the library, as much as I love it I just don't utilize it enough.

Are you joining the challenge?? Do you know what the next 20 books you'll read will be? If so, let me know - and tell me your secrets! How do you stick to your list?

Update: So, obviously, I didn't actually read 20 books this summer. But I think I did pretty well all things considered. I really didn't expect American Gods to take me almost the entire month of August. It was denser than I expected it to be, although I did thoroughly enjoy it.  If you participated in #20books, please let me know how you did. Did you stick to your list? Make your choices at Random? And if you successfully read 20 Books: Please tell me how you did it??


0 comments:

Post a Comment